Saturday, October 10, 2015

Sleepwlkrs drop "Dig Up The Earth" Music Video





And here it is. Memphis-based alternative rock band Sleepwlkrs’ first music video, “Dig Up The Earth.”
Formed in late 2014, Sleepwlkrs have hit the venues and bars of Memphis TN with their Brand New-inspired sound at a steady pace since their inception; making friends and comrades along the way.
I should know, I’m one of them.
While I didn’t make this blog to simply share my friends’ bands and while Journalistic ethics make doing so for The Daily Helmsman or any other publication a bit iffy, here are some pictures from the night when I decided these guys simply deserved to have their story told.  





Way back in April ‘15 at the Hear901 festival I decided, and drunkenly told guitarist Eli Wilson…
“That’s it. I’m writing about your band!”
Took me a while, but what better occasion than the release of their first music video. The thing is, Sleepwlkrs has got a real grind mentality about them. It’s infectious.



The first time I saw guitarist Eli, standing on the University of Memphis alumni mall promoting Delta Vibe, I thought he looked like some kind of hipster version of Demetri Martin. That was my first thought. He invited me over to sign up for “Vibe,” I told him about my band (Jetpack Crew), and we discovered later that day we were taking the same visual media class.   
Where, eventually he crafted this beautiful thing. 

From then on I was introduced to the Sleepwlkrs tribe and the wonderful world of Yung Spotty, not only a house full of my-kind-of-twenty-somethings playing drinking games, but a place for a bustling music scene that I simply had to start writing about.


It is here that they are playing a show tonight that I am very excited to go see.
Anyway. Sleepwlkrs.
You got the Demetri Martin/Nashville swagger of Eli Wilson.


The solid, southern-rock inspired and maniacal guitar shredding of AJ Peterson (who seconds as my producer now. Best in the biz.)


The polyrhythmic pounding of Patrick Curran who, like myself, will find almost any excuse to sneak in a tasteful bass drum bu-duh-duh for shit’s sake. What a guy.




Although she and the wlkrs have decided to part ways…”Dig Up The Earth” features the soft and sincere voice of a miss Megan Carolyn. Megan has a complete and thorough catalogue of “rock star” apparel and a winning personality to match.


Troy, Troy the wonder boy. Not only does Troy nail the whole Brand-New-altrock-dude vocal style, he is a scholar and a gentleman. I once made a homemade Jimmy John’s sandwich for him and he was very complimentary of the dish. Troy roolz.


And Moo. Ahh Moo. According to the “Dig Up the Earth” music video Moo is a friggin’ cowboy; sittin’ there on the porch slappin’ that bass. Damn. Moo is also - I’m gonna say it- the heart of the entertainment value of a Sleepwlkrs performance. This man comes alive on stage. There is no chill. Aside from when Kanye West's’ “All Day” comes on at nearly every Spotty party, Moo Moo is the most hype when he is onstage-bass in hand, dreadlocks a-flyin.’
Just ....Moo, man.













His was difficult shoes to fill when I filled in bass for the wlkrs at the Rock N’ Romp festival.    

Had a great time though!

But there you have it. Sleepwlkrs’ “Dig up The Earth” music video. These guys are on to something and I’m proud to assist their dedication in rock n’ roll any way I can. "Dig Up the Earth" definitely has the Indiecore Memphis official approval.

Sleepwlkrs-nation!




No comments:

Post a Comment