Thursday, December 24, 2015

Levi The Poet and co. bring cheer to Avenue Coffee with "Your Friendly Christmas Tour"



This year, the moment Memphis knew it was Christmas was undoubtedly when touring spoken word artist Levi The Poet sat down in Avenue Coffee, took a deep breath, and recited the following phrase:
“Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot
But the Grinch who lived just North of Whoville did not!”  
Yes, not only did Albuquerque, New Mexio’s Levi Macallister recite How the Grinch Stole Christmas and even The Night Before Christmas specifically to end his collection of inclusive introspective poetry, but Listener’s Dan Smith and Red Sweater Lullaby’s Kristopher Rochelle played solo acoustic sets and told stories.
“We love Christmas,” Levi said. “Me and Kris did a tour like this last year, but only in Texas. This time around we wanted to do it in the whole midwest and take our friend Dan out with us who also loves Christmas- hang out with people in their houses.”    
30-year-old tour-mate Kristopher Rochelle confirmed Levi’s claim that those on the “Your friendly Christmas tour” do in fact love this time of year.
“I love Christmas, and Levi’s wife Brandy loves Christmas,” Rochelle said. Last year I called her up and I had this idea and I told it to her and she was so down.”
Rochelle explained his takeaway from last year’s tour.
“We really learned that it was more about everybody just getting together and giving people an excuse to make a memory around the holidays,” Rochelle said.
During the performance on December 18th The Red Sweater frontman delivered a set of soothing breakup songs, and like his Listener-bandmate Dan Smith, answered questions from the Avenue crowd about his mustache.
“It seems like ‘good will towards men’ is a little more abounding around this time of year for whatever reason, and I really don’t care about the reason,” Rochelle said. “I’m more just into the idea that people are being a little more kind to one another. We want celebrate and encourage that in humanity. A tour seemed the right way that we could do it as musicians.”
This tour was arguably the largest collection of big-name performers Memphis’ Avenue Coffee has hosted in it’s existence thus far. Dan Smith of Listener shared that one man is, of course, responsible.
“Our buddy Jaron, he’s thrown some shows for us at The Abbey,” Smith said. “But this is actually the second time I’ve stepped foot into this coffee shop. Last time we played a show in Memphis- we played and then Jaron invited us the next day just to have a coffee and relax before we made a drive somewhere. That was nice to do.”  
Jaron Weidner, well-known owner of Avenue Coffee and Memphis show promoter explained how simple it was to get Levi The Poet and the “Your Friendly Chrismas Tour” to come through.
“I had worked with Dan smith before,” Weidner said. “I’ve booked him several times. Somebody told me that Dan Smith was touring with Levi the poet for Christmas and that they were looking for shows so I pulled out my trusty cell phone and sent Dan a text.”
Dan Smith performed an extremely entertaining set of soft songs and spoken word poetry- (yes, taking questions from the audience about his mustache) and thanking any Dungeon and Dragons fans for getting out of their basements for the evening.
“We’ve played in houses, we’ve played in a cabin out in the woods, and big venues we’ve played in one other coffee shop,” Smith said. “It’s pretty fun just to go out and just kinda do something different than a usual tour. Having a theme is always nice and Christmas is generally a warm time- a family time.”
Smith shared how his fellow tourmates brainstormed the format of the tour and made sure to mention the free EP they put together as a free gift to attendees.
“Kris came up with some ideas about singing Christmas carols and reading Christmas stories,” Smith said. “I just wanted to NOT do just the usual ‘hey-it’s-sort of-a-Christmas-thing-but-it’s-just-because-it’s-in-December-and-we’re-touring-here’s-a-show-thing."
“We wanted it to really be like a Christmas party- like have people do a pot-luck dinner or a white elephant gift exchange and just have a nice general cheer in the vein of just any Christmas party you might go to,” Smith said.
Levi The Poet, himself, shared how Avenue Coffee turned out to be the perfect venue for this unique “Christmas party”.

“It’s perfect for tonight cause it’s not loud. Everybody was able to be quiet and enjoy it and that’s what we wanted for the tour y’know,” Levi said.
“We just wanted it to be chill and something that people can really like enjoy and appreciate without a whole lot of other distractions. A venue show is an entirely different thing and equally fine- but we just wanted smaller scale, more intimate settings for this tour in particular, and this was that.”
Of course, Levi tried some of Avenue’s good brew.
“I bought a cup when I came in, It was great,” Levi said. “I got a mocha- which I never, ever get. I literally only ever drink black coffee so it was a treat and I loved it. I splurged man, it was awesome.”
The poet was especially appreciative of the turnout at the December 18th stop of the "Your Friendly Christmas Tour" hosted by Avenue Coffee.

“It’s kinda mind blowing how many people come out to shows in Memphis,” Levi said. “I’m always thankful for that ‘cause I don’t feel like I’ve been here enough to really cultivate a huge following or anything. People always show up and I appreciate that a lot.”
Judging from the crowd participation during the finale of the show (singing Christmas Carols) Memphis and Avenue appreciated the tour as well.





and now...Indiecore Memphis’ million-dollar-question for the “Your Friendly Christmas Tour”



What do you want for Christmas?


Kristopher Rochelle: I’m trying to go home for Christmas. I’ve been on the road since October 16th and I go home on December 21st and see my dog.


Levi the Poet: I emailed my wife brandy last night and I was just like ‘dude I just wanna come and hang out and drink hot chocolate and have a cool conversation.’ So that might be super cheeseball but that’s what I want.

Jaron Weidner: That’s always a tough question for me. Y’know I always get some sort of pack of socks or things like that. I always am grateful for the practical gifts. My parents don’t live here but they sent me a package of some toothpaste and stuff like that. It’s very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment